Here are some important factors to consider when choosing the leather quality for your furniture:
How often will the furniture be used?
Will the furniture be used every day, and for many hours per day? Will it be located in front of the TV? Will it be your favourite reading chair? Will it only be used when you have guests?
Will children or pets use the furniture? Or will the furniture only be used by adults who will immediately remove stains and spills?
Placement of the furniture
Will your furniture be located near heat sources or in direct sunlight?
Over time, body oils and perspiration, as well as medicines and cosmetic products, may break down the leather’s protective layer.
Time willing to spend on maintenance
Look and feel
What look and feel would you like your furniture to have? Leather samples are available at your local Stressless dealer.
- Durable and practical
- Favourable price, as most hides can be used to make this quality
- Most of the natural marks are removed through sanding
- Embossed grain
- Pigments are used on the top surface to cover imperfections and make it highly resistant to wear, fading etc.
- Protective layer of lacquer to simplify cleaning
- Natural, soft and comfortable look and feel
- More durable and practical than aniline, while retaining a natural appearance
- A light surface coating with a small amount of pigment is used to cover imperfections and guarantee better colour consistency than for aniline leather types
- A thin coat of lacquer gives some protection and simplifies cleaning
- Delicate, extremely soft to the touch, natural and distinctive look
- Good breathability
- One of the most exclusive finishes in leather manufacturing
- Only high-quality raw-material is used
- Only coloured with dyes (transparent chemicals) that allow the natural grain structure to show
- Unique surface characteristics of the hide remain visible (pores, scars, structure, etc.)
- A light surface coating may be applied to enhance the appearance and offer some protection against spillages and soiling
Stressless leather qualities
The four leather qualities offered for Stressless furniture have been developed for Ekornes in cooperation with our suppliers. Not all of them can be placed in one of the above-mentioned categories. The illustration below shows how our leather qualities can be classified on the scale from pigmented to aniline leather.